Judge Blocks Kari Lake at USAGM

March 9, 2026
Judge Blocks Kari Lake
Getty Images

Judge Blocks Kari Lake after a federal court ruled that her leadership of the U.S. Agency for Global Media violated federal law, voiding layoffs and major decisions taken during that period. The ruling delivered a sharp legal setback for the former Arizona political candidate and reopened debate over the future of Voice of America.

U.S. District Judge Royce C. Lamberth issued the decision on Saturday. He concluded that the process used to elevate Lake to the agency’s top role was unlawful. Because of that finding, actions taken while she exercised that authority now carry no legal effect.

The ruling sparked immediate reactions from both supporters and critics of the restructuring effort. While Voice of America journalists welcomed the judgment, Lake criticized the decision and pledged to appeal.

Judge Blocks Kari Lake in landmark USAGM ruling

The court determined that the arrangement allowing Lake to run the agency violated the Constitution’s appointments clause and the Federal Vacancies Reform Act. Judge Lamberth wrote that there had been an unlawful effort to transform Lake into the chief executive of the U.S. Agency for Global Media.

Because the court found the leadership structure invalid, several actions taken during that time were also invalidated. Those measures included mass layoffs, attempts to reorganize the agency, and efforts to remove key leadership figures.

The ruling represents another judicial barrier to attempts to dismantle the organization.

Legal experts say the decision reinforces limits on executive power. Congress retains a central role in establishing leadership structures for federal agencies, especially those involved in public broadcasting and international communications.

Voice of America staff react after judge blocks Kari Lake

Several journalists who filed the lawsuit said the ruling confirmed their concerns about how the agency had been managed.

The plaintiffs, including Patsy Widakuswara, Kate Neeper, and Jessica Jerreat, released a statement saying they felt vindicated. They thanked the court for defending the institution and protecting its mission.

According to the journalists, the decision restores hope that the broadcaster can return to its core purpose. Voice of America produces journalism aimed at international audiences and promotes democratic values abroad.

They also stressed that the organization must remain independent from political influence.

Press freedom organization Reporters Without Borders, which joined the lawsuit, said the case demonstrated that legal action can play a critical role in defending media institutions.

Voice of America operates under the U.S. Agency for Global Media. The agency also oversees international broadcasters such as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty and Radio Free Asia.

Read Also

US economy shows weak signs as retail sales stall
US economy adds 130000 jobs in January
Ford faces $900M higher tariff costs

Political backdrop as judge blocks Kari Lake

The case also reflects a broader political effort to reshape the agency during Donald Trump’s presidency.

In March 2025, Trump publicly said he wanted the agency eliminated to the maximum extent allowed by law. Soon after, Lake moved quickly to restructure its operations.

One of her first major steps involved placing the entire Voice of America workforce on administrative leave. At the same time, funding for other U.S.-backed broadcasters was halted.

As a result, VOA’s operations slowed significantly and some programming halted temporarily.

However, the sweeping changes triggered immediate legal challenges. Courts repeatedly sided with journalists and staff who argued that the actions violated legal safeguards protecting the agency.

The latest ruling adds to those earlier decisions.

Leadership dispute inside US Agency for Global Media

At the center of the legal dispute was the question of whether Lake had the authority to run the agency.

Although the USAGM website lists her as deputy chief executive, critics argued that she effectively served as acting CEO without legal authorization.

During that period, she attempted several major changes inside the organization. Those included restructuring staff positions and trying to remove the VOA director.

Judge Lamberth concluded that the arrangement effectively bypassed required appointment procedures.

As a result, the court ruled that those actions cannot stand.

Observers say the decision underscores how federal law restricts temporary leadership arrangements within government agencies.

Lake vows to challenge ruling

Lake quickly rejected the court’s decision and said she plans to appeal.

She argued that the American public gave President Trump a mandate to cut government waste and reduce bureaucracy. According to her statement, the ruling interferes with that effort.

Lake also described the decision as another example of what she called activist judicial intervention.

Despite her criticism, the ruling could have far-reaching consequences for hundreds of Voice of America journalists whose positions were affected during the restructuring effort.

Recent events already indicated that dismantling the agency would face political resistance.

Last month, Congress approved a funding bill that provided significantly more money for USAGM than Lake had requested. The move suggested bipartisan support for maintaining the agency’s global broadcasting role.

Meanwhile, Lake has continued to promote restructuring efforts through social media. She recently highlighted a deferred resignation program offering employees the option to resign or retire voluntarily.

However, the court ruling appears to invalidate her earlier mass layoff attempt.

In recent days, Lake also promoted Voice of America broadcasts directed at audiences in Iran amid rising regional tensions. She shared coverage suggesting the network was helping transmit American messaging inside the country.

Ford faces $900M higher tariff costs amid policy shift
Wall Street volatility rattles gold, bitcoin, tech stocks

Aaron Joshua Mwenyi

Aaron Joshua Mwenyi

Aaron Joshua Mwenyi is a Ugandan legal professional and SEO expert. With a law degree from Uganda Christian University, he has experience in legal outreach and community justice. Specializing in SEO and digital marketing, Aaron creates content that boosts engagement and brand visibility across various industries. Fluent in English and proficient in Lugisu, he helps businesses thrive in the digital world.

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Categories

Previous Story

Nakivubo Channel Redevelopment Expands Kampala Drainage

Diesel Prices Surge
Next Story

Diesel Prices Surge After Iran Conflict